Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Bits and Pieces that I'm working on

After all the dying activity abated, I've got back to working on several projects.

Dog Mat


I made a little quilt for the bottom of a doggy kennel for a friend from the band who plays sax.


 I thought the text strips would be like training a puppy with newspaper on the floor.  I did some quilting from Angela Walters book. (A signed copy, thank you very much)

I used the Mod Mosaic technique for one side, and the pick-up sticks technique for the other side.

Scrap Slabs

I made three slabs for the Calgary flood relief that Cheryl Arkinson is organizing.  She is here giving workshops and I was able to catch her trunkshow where she showed off her quilts from the Sunday Morning Quilts book.  I bought the book there and she signed it too.  The book is all about using your scraps.

She also debuted her new book, A Month of Sundays.  That book contains quilts, clothes, recipes and essays and it looks really good too.

I made a couple of fabric boxes to tame my scrap heap from her book, "Sunday Morning Quilts."  (A signed copy, too!)

 Here's one of my new cupboards with mainly solids - and the two fabric boxes for scraps - a blue one and a grey one.

Lake Winnipeg Beach Baby Quilts


I am making three suns to go on three baby quilts using a New York Beauty style block for the sun.  I drew out one that's really big, then tried using Illustrator to do one on the computer.  Something happened to my version of Illustrator, so I finally did it using FireWorks - a stripped down image editor that's really for web graphics and images.  I didn't like the 4 points per quadrant, so I made a 5 points per quadrant one that looks sunnier.
 The big one is the one we are going with, so now I gotta make 2 more.  The Kaffe Fassett fabric works great for these suns. There's also a clam and a bird for the front, then a bunch of fossils for the back. All times 3!

Single Girl Block

I also tried out a Single Girl block using my own home made templates.  I made an arc template and am improv piecing the arc, then cutting it to size using the template.  I'm too lazy to make a bunch that I can paper piece onto, which would probably work out easier.  Maybe I'll draw one up and photocopy it a bunch of times.

4 comments:

  1. Oh dear, I hope you've been dyeing, not dying! Nice to see what's been keeping you busy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE your scrap baskets! I think I need to make some of those!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What lovely swirls on your kennel liner!! Now, that's a sentence I've never said before!! Ha!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh My Goodness!! A comment from the amazing woman herself!!! I enjoyed saying hi to you at Quiltcon and I've been using and adapting quilting ideas from your book (that you signed). Thanks for droping in.

      Delete