Friday, May 9, 2014

Liquorice Allsorts

I had this idea of making a quilt of liquorice allsorts a few months ago and finally had a reason to do it.  The band I'm in is doing a concert this saturday and all the music have food in the titles.  We're playing Cherry Red, Green Onions, Raise Your Glass, Bach's Lunch, First Suite for Military Band, The Peanut Vendor, Agua de Beber, Dixieland Jam, and more.  I wanted to call the concert "The Hunger Games", but "Smorgasband" is what the rest decided.

We usually have a silent auction so I thought I'd make the Liquorice Allsorts quilt for this.


 I pieced in the square ones, and appliqued the other three.  I did the used dryer sheet trick for turning them inside out and getting the seam allowance tucked in.  the fabrics are 30s repros that had the right soft colours and are quite kid-like. 


 Here's the front.  I auditioned the candies on several colours and felt they really "popped" on this bright yellow-green.


The back has smaller allsorts that are staggered rather than angled.


 I got the label on with the band name and the quilt guild name.  It finished to 37 x 48 - 3 feet by 4 feet - a great size for a baby quilt.


 The quilting is a bunch of overlapping squares about the size of the allsorts filled with big zig-zags.

This was a really quick project.  I had the top started and pieced mostly on Friday after work.  I got the rest of the front and back pieced on Saturday (with a quick run to the LQS - local quilt store for more background) and then just layered it - spray glue 505- and got 1/3 of it quilted by Sunday evening.  Since the quilting is the part I like the least, i did little bits and pieces on Mon, Tues, Wed and put the binding on it Wed evening and got it washed.

Now it's off to the concert on Saturday to raise a bit of money for the band.


11 comments:

  1. it looks great Paul! Love the idea, and love the colours (love licorice allsorts, too!) Hope it raises lots of money for the band

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cute! Love the idea and the colours are perfect! Good luck in the auction, I hope you rise lot's of "dough"! Pun intended!

    Kat FVMQ

    ReplyDelete
  3. It really does look like licorice allsorts - that's awesome!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea! Love those allsorts - the real and these virtual ones! The quilting is incredible! Nice finish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a sweet quilt, my hubby would love this for the licorice! Best of luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Terrific job (even though I hate licorice allsorts). So what is this used dryer sheet trick?

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea! I do love the colours - just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice to meet another musical quilter! I play in a concert band, and before this I played in a big band. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. My Favorite treat since I was a little kid stealing them from my Grandmothers' candy dish!! This has to be the absolute COOLEST quilt I have seen in a long time!! Sew impressed. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely whimsical quilt - thanks for sharing your process!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Paul, this made me laugh out loud. And now all I want to do is eat a bag of licence all sorts. Awesome quilt idea!

    ReplyDelete