Tuesday, January 1, 2013

QuiltCon Charity Quilt

VMQG volunteered to put together a charity quilt for QuiltCon with challenge blocks supplied by Quiltcon.  Our blocks arrived and seemed to be very odd in that they were really hard to figure out a nice layout.  Here's my attempt at laying them out on my white duvet which is about the exact size that the finished quilt is supposed to be.  First, a blob
 A tee shape
 Horizontal stripes
 Vertical stripes

I tried some colour blocking for the background with 12 inch strips of solids
 Cross shape with colour blocking background
 Exploded layout.  I think I like this one the best
I really liked these two blocks with the thin strips of colour through them.  Especially the green and grey and orange strips.
 So I made some strips with green and orange and grey to include in the solids.

Here's the first quarter of the quilt coming together.

Karen supplied the fabric for the back of the quilt and had a block she made but didn't submit for the challenge, so I put it in and made one myself too to include.  That filled out the top much better.
Here's the whole quilt
 I think I ended up with such a busy background, that the blocks sort of blend in rather than stand out.  I purposefully made sure that the background colour blocks abutted a block that had that colour in it so that the blocks appear out of and disappear into the background.  I'm not sure that it works completely, but you can't deny it is a very colourful quilt.

It certainly isn't what we'd call a twin size quilt either.  This is most definitely a queen size quilt up here in Canada.  I actually made it the minimum size allowed!  But as they say everything is big in Texas, so I guess it's a twin size quilt down there.

I got it done 10 minutes before leaving for the VMQG meeting, so I didn't get the back done.  However, Karen did supply just about enough of the blue fabric for the back and I added in some extra grey in case more fabric was needed.

I handed it off to Joan to quilt on her long arm quilter.  She'll then get it off to Liz to put on the binding (bright orange) and Amy is doing the label.  It should be ready for our next guild meeting, then it's off to Texas for QuiltCon.
Here's the quilt top being shown off at the VMQG meeting.  I don't know who took the picture, but it's posted on Flickr by VMQG.  I'm pointing to Karen's block.  This is considered a twin size quilt in TEXAS.


  1. Very much a challenge, Paul, but I really like the results! The little green/orange/gray strips you added into the background tie it in nicely!

  2. Stunning! I love the little strips in the background too.

  3. Thanks for all your work on this Paul - you made an amazing quilt - love seeing the design process. Thanks for including my block too

  4. I love seeing the process in deciding the layout of this quilt! Brilliant!

  5. I love it!!!
    thanks for showing how you put it together.